Tuesday, May 26, 2009

 

my pancetta

Did I mention I made my own Pancetta? I did, its name was Vinny and it was pretty good.

It all started last November when I took a class on charcuterie at BU taught by Jamie Bissonette, the chef at Toro and an expert in curing, salting and preserving meats. In the class, we made sausages, rendered fat for duck confit, made a terrine, talked about curing hams and as a grand finale, made head cheese from a pig's head that had been boiling in a large pot all day.

This class really brought home how simple it is to make some of those delicious cured meats we all know and love. My first effort was a pancetta for two reasons: it required the least amount of specialized equipment and ingredients; and I frickin' love it.

Vinny took about 3 weeks total to cure and age. It was surprisingly simple: take pork belly, cover in stuff, cure for a week, roll it tight and hang it for another two weeks. For a good basic recipe adapted from the book "Charcuterie" click here.

The result was a slightly more crude version of the stuff you get in the store. The ends were gnarled and dry because I didn't round them very well but it was quite good overall. At a couple of points, I realized that I didn't tie it well enough so the middle was a little funky but that was a good learning point.

I ate a lot of pancetta and eggs, gave a lot away, wrapped lots of things in pancetta and added it to all sorts of dishes. Within 2 weeks, my five pounds were all gone. Vinny, it was a good time, thanks for the memories. I look forward to meeting you again as you are reincarnated again and again.


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?