Thursday, May 18, 2006

 

Dry Sausages, East Coast Stylee!

This article in the NYT is a similar one to that in the SFGate a few months back. The focus is on local artisinal salami producers. Predictably, there are quite a few in the NYC area. They are an interesting mix of families that have been doing it for generations and upscale chefs who have introduced the practice to their restaurants.

For the record, the soppressata I call my favorite is from NYC. The salumeria I get it from, Sessa's in Davis Square, won't tell me the name of the producer. After a conversation with the proprieter, all he would tell me is that he gets it specially made for his shop, 500 pounds at a time. He also told me about the new health inspector, an Irishman, who once came into his shop, saw the white mold on the outside of the sausage and told him to throw it out. Eventually, the inspector's boss, an Italian, had to set him straight. You'd think that 2500 years worth of experience would be enough to please the inspectors but apparently not.

I think I'll stop at Sessa's on my way home this afternoon for a soppressata, a loaf of bread and some of those marinated artichokes they have. Yeah, that and a bottle of dolcetto sounds like a nice little dinner out on the patio.

Comments:
yes it does.

can one make their own sopresatta? or, is that asking for trouble?
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?