Wednesday, March 29, 2006

 

That smell in the air....

It's finally spring, when a young man's thoughts turn to...grilling. I haven't yet had the chance but the first grill of the year is coming soon. I have plans for Friday night with my lady friend to prepare a mixed grill of as many meats, veg and starches as I can fit on the grill and the two of us can eat. All foods consumed will be grilled and they will be delicious. I think I will serve Sierra Nevada Pale Ale at the lighting ceremony and a bottle of the 2004 Palacios Bierzo with the meal.

I used to think it was cool to try to grill year 'round but then I realized that braises and sauces are more appropriate for cold weather and the grill went dormant in winter. As my roommate pointed out last year, my grilling season is basically the same as baseball season. There is no need to put up with cold and snow just for the taste of grilled foods when you can stay snug and warm in the kitchen to prepare a savory braised dish. I guess a good rule to follow is that if it's warm enough out for flip flops, it's good for grilling.

The forecast for this weekend is warm and sunny. I reckon backyards across the region will be filled with smoke and the scent of grilled meats as grills are pulled out of the shed, dusted off and lit up for the official beginning of summer. Folks will be taking those perilous trips out the door with armloads of platters, plates, tongs and beer bottles ready for the grilling experience. You can be sure I'll be doing my part; polishing my tongs and spatula (the one with the built-in bottle opener), trading my shoes for flip flops and starting a fire in backyard.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?