Thursday, March 02, 2006

 

Hanger steak

I went on my meatwalk to Savenor's the other day and was browsing the steak section when I came across a couple of hanger steaks. I had had that cut in restaurants but you don't always see it in the butcher shop so I grabbed the last two. They cost just 5 bucks a pound and were absolutely delicious. I cooked it in a cast-iron, searing it on all sides, removing it and making a sauce with the drippings. I think this is preferred for this cut anyway, the dry heat of a grill will touhgen it up. If possible, a marinade will help it become more tender. Use it for dishes like steak frites; it marries nicely with a sauce.

The cut is a long strip with a fairly wide grain. It comes from the underside of the cow, near the tenderloin. for menu reference, the French call it 'onglet.' It isn't as tender as some cuts but it delivers an excellent, hearty beef flavor. I recommend it for cost/taste proportion. It is easily the best 5 buck a pound steak I've had in a while.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?