Wednesday, August 10, 2005

 

Wednesday Roundup

NYT: Ice Cream again! This time, make it (and sorbet) at home. Related, check out "shave ice," the asian frozen treat. Speaking of not eating sweets, Governer Huckabee of Arkansas lost 100 pounds and is urging his constituents to follow suit. I'll withhold the Yankee prejudiced jokes about fat southerners.

In the columns, Mr. Minimal hopes to save the eggplant and tomato based italian dish from a soggy hell. The wine guys are still ignoring wine but this time they at least put their energies towards rum. Better than the mysterious prohibition of last week.

SF Chronicle: Those damn liberals! The lead article is about training low income folks to become bakers for career advancement. Wasn't that in one of last weeks papers? All kidding aside, this is obviously a good program but I'm not sure it belongs in this section.

Ice cream and hot dogs! Look, I realize its summer and you expect to see some standards but its making my task rather boring. But then comes the article on the chicken taquito and all is well in my little world. Leftovers: the instant noodle dilemma, fruit bowls and ocean friendly fish.

Over in the wine section, the lead is about US place name protections. It is certainly true that the US is lacking in the extent of regulations that most of Europe uses to classify wine by quality and type. On the other hand, as happens in bourdeaux, it can be abused.
The tasting is of select sonoma chards. The cheese is burrata and the spirit is a local 'tender who won an aperitif competition in Italy.

Des Moines Register: We travel to Iowa for this week in guest papers. The Register seems to put their food section in on Thursday which completely screws up my thing here but I'll just comment on last weeks articles for the sake of getting it done on my day off.

The section is pretty trim and a couple of restaurant reviews, which I purposely don't cover, slims it down even further. Actually, I'm left with virtually nothing. The upside is that for a town in Iowa, Des Moines seems to have some pretty good restaurants. Hmmph. Locals may be interested in the article on how long waits are at area restaurants or the bar scene review. That's about it.

Ok, bye.

Comments:
I'm disappointed in the lack of food info in the Des Moines Register (pronounced Dez Moiyneez, I think). But I did want to hear the fat southerner jokes.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?